Children's Area About Our Books
Children's Book Collections
- Picture Books (storybooks and great read-alouds for birth to grade 2)
- Board Books (for babies and toddlers)
- Basic Readers (beginning readers and chapter books for children learning to read on their own, color-coded by grade level)
- Non-Fiction (Information books for children of all ages)
- Fiction (chapter books and novels for grades 2 - 5)
The Picture Book collection has a special section for Caldecott Medal Winners and many of the books have special browsing lables to help locate books by theme, like ABC's, 123's, colors, and holidays.
The Fiction collection has special labels that help you select an area of interest, such as fantasy, historical fiction, science fiction, and mystery. The bright pink "chapter book" labels in the fiction collection identify books that help a child graduate from picture books and basic readers to novels. They have chapters, are longer than 32 pages, have lots of illustrations throughout, and have larger size text. There is also a special section for Newbery Medal Winners.
The Basic Reader collection gathers together books for children just learning to read. Color coded labels on the book spine indicate the reading level.
- Orange: very beginning reader
- Dark Blue: first half of 1st grade
- Light Blue: second half of 1st grade
- Yellow: first half of 2nd grade
- Purple: second half of 2nd grade
- Pink: first half of 3rd grade
- Green: second half of 3rd grade
Our catalog of books is online.