Book Us! for a Genealogy One-on-One
Do you have a genealogical "brick wall" you’d like to smash? Are you conducting local history research for a class and need help figuring out where to begin? Did you buy a new house recently want to research its history? Get help solving these and other research quandaries by registering for a Genealogy One-on-One!
As the local history and genealogy arm of the Athens-Clarke County Library, the Heritage Room offers 45-minute personal consultations with a Heritage Room Librarian for genealogists and researchers in need of individualized assistance. Not to replace paid genealogical/research assistance, this free program will have Library staff set aside time to spend with one person, working on one genealogical or local history research question.
Genealogy One-on-Ones cover a variety of subjects, including:
- Beginning genealogy: how to begin your family history and organize your research;
- Using GALILEO databases: how to navigate a specific database, advanced search techniques, troubleshooting access issues;
- Using Library resources to research the history of a property;
- Finding the location of specific extant records to help research your genealogy;
- Learning how to use Heritage Room scanning equipment;
- Using U.S. genealogical records
Genealogy One-on-Ones do not:
- Allow librarians to do your research for you;
- Promise that that your tree or family member will be researched at that moment;
- Replace for-hire genealogy or professional research
To register for a 45-minute Genealogy One-on-One, please visit the Events Calendar, click on the tutorial of your interest, and complete the registration form. You may also register by phone by calling (706) 613-3650 x350, or in person by visiting the Heritage Room during our regular hours of operation. Please visit our Book Us! for a One-on-One FAQ page for information about lateness and cancellation procedures.