Please visit our 2021 FAQs for updated information about Passport Services.

Photo of a passport on a map.

Acceptance of U.S. Passport Applications

The Athens-Clarke County Library accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. U.S. citizens planning international travel may apply for their passports at the Library.

Passport Service Hours

The Athens-Clarke County Library is accepting passport applications by appointment only. Please call the library at 706-613-3650 to set up your appointment. Hours are subject to change. 

Other Passport Information

return to top

Answers to Your Questions

Who provides the U.S. Acceptance Service?

Designated Library staff are trained and authorized to be official Passport Acceptance Agents. They are required to follow all Federal rules and regulations with no exceptions.

You will be denied service if you do not supply the required documentation or adhere to U.S. Passport Acceptance rules and regulations.

return to top

What is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship?

return to top

Where can I obtain a Certified Birth Certificate?

For Georgia-born residents this certificate may be obtained by contacting the Georgia office of Vital Records at:
Vital Records
2600 Skyland Drive NE
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640

or go to:

For all others states, you may contact the department of vital records for the State in which you were born, or go to, or call 1-800-255-2414.

return to top

What is acceptable proof of identification?

Adults may submit their current valid Driver's License, government-issued ID card, or other forms of identity (call 706-613-3650, ext. 356 for details).

return to top

Are the passport forms available for download?

Passport forms are available for download in PDF format via the State Department Web pages at

return to top

Where do I get the photographs?


Athens-Clarke County Library does not take the passport photographs. 
return to top

What do I do if I have lost or damaged my passport?

If you have lost or damaged your current U.S. Passport, you must apply for a new passport and you must submit all original documentation. For a lost passport, you must also submit the form DS-64, "Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport."

If your passport was stolen, you need to contact Passport Services immediately. You must apply for a new passport using the information above.

return to top

My passport has recently expired. How do I renew it?

Citizens wishing to renew their U.S. passports which are less than 15 years old from the date of issue may pick up the renewal form at the library and then submit them through the mail. Applicants must have been at least 16 years of age when last passport was issued. If the last name has changed because of marriage, the applicant must show I.D. with same last name, or a certified name change document must be presented. You can also download a Passport Renewal Form here.

return to top

How long will it take to get my passport?

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the passport agency is not able to provide time frames for the issuance of passports or for the return of citizenship documents. Customers are encouraged to visit the U.S. Department of State’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding processing times.

Please be advised that the Athens-Clarke County Library has no authority to modify time frames. Once the applications leave our facility, we have no control over the passport-issuing process.

return to top

How much does it cost to get a passport at the library?

Fees are payable by check or money order only. Fees are payable to the "U.S. Department of State" as follows:

What is the Acceptance or Execution fee?

The Acceptance/Execution Fee of $35.00 is paid as a separate fee to any Acceptance Agency, including the Athens-Clarke County Library. The fee is per application. The Library also accepts cash, personal checks (not starter checks), or money orders for the Execution fee.

return to top

Do my children need to accompany me when applying for their passports?

All applicants, including children, must be present when applying for a U.S. Passport.

If both parents are listed on the birth certificate, then both parents MUST be present and show identification when applying for their child's passport if the child is under the age of 16. If one parent cannot be present when applying for their child's passport, the parent's consent must be notarized on either a "Statement of Consent" form (DS-3053), or in a separate notarized letter.

A certified birth certificate must also be presented when renewing a child's passport when the child is still under 16 years of age. Passport patrons aged 16 and 17 who have their own Driver's License are still considered minors and must have at least one parent with ID present.

return to top

What if I have been divorced and have remarried since I last applied for my passport?

If your current married name is shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport. There is space at the bottom of the application for former names (maiden, married).

If your current married name is not shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport, and your original marriage certificate.

return to top

My question has not been asked and answered here. Where can I go for more information?

For more information call the National Passport Information Center at their TOLL FREE number: (877) 487-2778.

return to top