Athens-Clarke County Library - Public Meeting Rooms Policy
The public meeting rooms (multi-purpose room, auditorium, conference rooms, study rooms, classrooms &/or other designated areas) of the Athens-Clarke County Library are designed to advance the ideas & purposes expressed in the library's mission statement & strategic plan. The facilities should serve as a public resource by providing access to library & other programs for educational, informational, cultural & civic functions of the community.
Public Meeting Rooms in the Athens-Clarke County Library
- Multi-purpose Room (three sections)
- Jon & Virginia Appleton Auditorium
- Computer Classroom
- Heritage Room Conference Room (available only during Heritage Room open hours)
Reservations not required (first come, first served):
- Upshaw Bentley Conference Room
- James M. Foster Study Room
- Small Study Rooms (five)
Equal Opportunity & Endorsement
- The library's meeting rooms are available on equal terms to all groups in the community, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the groups' members.
- All activities taking place in the meeting rooms must be free & open to the public & cannot be closed to any person on the basis of age, gender, race, religion, national origin, disabling condition or any other legally protected category.
- Use of the meeting rooms by outside agencies does not constitute an endorsement by the library, library staff or Board of Trustees of the viewpoints expressed by the participants in programs or meetings.
- Meetings & events sponsored or co-sponsored by the library & the library's partners & affiliated agencies & organizations are allowed precedence over all outside groups or individuals.
- All other reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
- The library reserves the right to revise any schedule of meetings if necessary & to preempt established reservations upon reasonable notification of the group(s) involved.
Reservations & Scheduling
- Reservations for use of a meeting room are made according to procedures established by the Athens-Clarke County Library management staff (see Athens-Clarke County Library Meeting Room Guidelines & Procedures & the Reservation & Agreement Form). Anyone using a room which requires a reservation must complete & sign the Reservation / Agreement Form prior to using the room.
- Reserved meeting rooms are available only for use by groups of at least three people.
- Reservations must be made by an adult (18 years of age or older). Groups with participants younger than 18 years of age must have adult supervision. The adult who signs the reservation must arrive prior to the beginning of the event, must be present throughout the entire event, & must remain until the departure from the library campus of all under-age attendees.
- Reservations will be accepted only within one year prior to the meeting date.
- The signee/contact person for each group is responsible for ensuring that each member of his or her group is aware of & abides by all library regulations and policies.
- Meeting rooms are not available during library holidays.
- Meetings may be held in the Jon & Virginia Appleton Auditorium or multipurpose room(s) before or after regularly scheduled library hours only when prior arrangement has been made & approval has been given by library staff for the hours requested. In addition to all applicable maintenance fees, individuals or groups using the library outside of the library's open hours will be required to pay an hourly fee for the library's security provider to be on site for the duration of the event (see AthensClarke County Library Meeting Room Guidelines & Procedures & the Reservation & Agreement Form).
Meeting Room Maintenance Fees
- Maintenance fees will be charged to all groups or individuals reserving meeting areas which require reservations. Fees listed cover up to four hours; additional time will be charged at $50.00 per hour.
- Multi-purpose Room
- No charge for only one section, if no food or beverages allowed (no kitchen access)
- $50.00 for only one section, if food &/or beverages are included (includes kitchen access)
- $100.00 for two sections (includes kitchen access)
- $200.00 for all three sections (includes kitchen access)
- Jon & Virginia Appleton Auditorium (includes kitchen access)
- $100.00 (no food or drink allowed inside the auditorium)
- Computer Classroom
- $50.00 per hour (no food or drink allowed)
- Heritage Room Conference Room
- No charge (no food or drink allowed)
- Multi-purpose Room
- Maintenance fees must be paid in full & in advance, during regular office hours, to the Athens-Clarke County Library Administrative Offices. Fees are due two weeks prior to the scheduled event.
- Athens-Clarke County Library, the Library's sponsored groups & partners & entities of the Library's government funding agencies are exempted from paying maintenance fees.
- Fee refund requests for cancelled events must be received by the AthensClarke County Library Administrative Offices at least two weeks prior to the cancelled date.
- Patron Responsibilities & Conduct policy (see Patron Responsibilities & Conduct) & all other Athens-Clarke County Library & Athens Regional
Library System (ARLS) policies apply to all meetings & attendees.
- Meetings cannot disrupt the ability of the library to conduct its business in a normal or orderly manner because of noise, crowding, parking or other factors.
- Rulings of the Athens-Clarke County Fire Marshall as to the capacity of people in the rooms, & other matters of safety, must be observed in all group meeting areas of the library.
- Private parties are not allowed in the public meeting rooms.
- No public meeting rooms (including small study rooms) may be used for sleeping or for storage of personal belongings.
- No group, other than the library & library-sponsored organizations, may use the library as its official address or for regular, recurring meetings.
- Other than for events sponsored by the library, or by the library's partners or affiliated agencies & organizations, reservations will not be accepted for a series of meetings which will designate the library as a regular meeting place for any organization. Up to three dates may be reserved at one time.
- The Library Board & staff do not assume any liability on or for groups or individuals attending a meeting in the library & assumes no responsibility or liability for private property brought into the building or onto the library campus.
- Future use of the meeting room may be restricted or denied by library staff for any violation of library policy.
Food & Beverage Allowed with Payment of Maintenance Fees
- Catered, pot-luck, &/or any other type of served meals are not allowed in
public meeting rooms; boxed lunches may be consumed when
maintenance fees have been paid.
- Refreshments may be served in the Multi-purpose Room or the main foyer
- All refreshments must remain in the meeting room or main foyer.
- No refreshments, including water, are allowed inside the Auditorium, Heritage Room Conference Room, Computer
Classroom or unreserved meeting areas.
- Water may be consumed in the Multi-purpose Room.
- No charge may be collected from participants for water or refreshments provided.
- Other Athens-Clarke County Library guidelines & procedures for room set up & cleanup will be provided at the time of reservation.
- Damage to library property will be the responsibility of the group using the room. The reservation signee will be charged with any resulting damage or cleaning fees. Damage to library property may also result in the applicant being denied further use of the facilities. These determinations will be made by the Athens Regional Library System Director.
Unreserved Meeting Rooms
- The Upshaw Bentley Conference Room, James M. Foster Study Room & the five small study rooms are available during library open hours on a first come, first served basis.
- The Upshaw Bentley Conference Room & James M. Foster Study Room may be used only by groups of at least three people.
- Any conversation or other noise in unreserved meeting rooms must be quiet enough so other library patrons are not disturbed.
- The ARLS Director reserves the right to review any & all requests for use of library meeting rooms & may reject any which he/she deems unsuitable or inappropriate.
- Complaints about this meeting room policy or the content of programs or events in the meeting rooms should be addressed in writing to the ARLS Director for local review by the Athens-Clarke County Library Board as outlined on the library's Request for Reconsideration form.
- If necessary, an appeal is heard by the ARLS Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.