Beat the January Blues!
Tuesday, January 20 at 7:00 p.m. in Multipurpose Room A
The Friends host a free, fun Trivia Night with Eddie Whitlock who regularly entertains friends and family with crazy fun factoids. Here are some sample questions:
- Wisconsin is home to the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States. What is the name of this NFL football team from Wisconsin?
- Four young ladies – Dee-dee, Peggy, Kathy & Janet – were singing sisters who became famous through the Lawrence Welk Television Show. The four sisters shared a last name with one of the Beatles. Who were they?
- On his last full day in office, President James K. Polk created a cabinet-level department to oversee public lands. What is the name of this Department, currently headed by Secretary Sally Jewell?
You may do so well that you win a prize!
Spring Book Sale 2015: March 10 (Friends Only Preview) through March 14 (Buy a Bag Day)
Some of our Friends have asked how they can help more. Some things each of you can do to help the Friends raise money for our library through successful book sales include:
- Donate books and ask friends to donate their books
- Get your friends to become FRIENDS of the LIBRARY
- Volunteer to work in the sorting room between sales. (on average it takes at least 36 volunteer hours to sort and box donated books each month)
- Volunteer to work the book sales early and often :)
Friends Help Fund "1,000 Books before Kindergarten" Initiative
The Friends recently donated $10,000 to the library to help launch the "1,000 Books before Kindergarten" initiative. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (and repeating favorite books count!) before your wee one starts kindergarten. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years! Watch for lots of wonderful new books to arrive and lots of new programs!
Kroger Plus Community Reward Program
Do you have a Kroger Plus Card? You can help earn money for the Library through their Community Rewards Program! Visit krogercommunityrewards.com to register your card. Our Friends' non-profit organization number is 39034 or search for us by name! Registering for the Friends does not affect your gas rewards either!.
If you have already registered your card, please know that you will have to RENEW your registration starting August 1st! We all have to do this every year, but it is worth it! Each quarter Krogers sends a check to us to help support library programs!
The Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library and AmazonSmile
If you are an Amazon shopper, go to https://smile.amazon.com/ when making a purchase. Select the Friends of the Athens-Clarke County Library as the charitable organization of your choice. Amazon will then donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to the Friends!
Join the Friends of the Library or Renew Your Membership
Download the Friends of the Library Membership form if you would prefer to join by mailing in a check.
Special Fundraiser: Help PAVE the Way
The Friends of the Athens-Clarke County Library invite you to show your support of the new Athens-Clarke County Library by purchasing an engraved paver on our front patio for $100.
Honor or Remember Family, Friends, & Loved Ones
Friends of the Library News & Events
View our latest newsletter online: November 2014 Friends of the Library Newsletter
- August 2014
- May 2014
- February 2014
- October 2013
- July 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- October 2012
- May 2012
- February 2012
- November 2011
- April 2011
- October 2010
- June 2010
- December 2009
- September 2009
- Book Sales
Each Spring for 4 days - thousands of books! Treasures for mere pennies! Find your old favorites or "nearly new" titles. A one-day Summer Book Sale is usually held in August.
- Café au Libris SERIES
Throughout the year, join us for periodic author programs. Your purchase of a book that day helps support the library. Enjoy light refreshments and visit with the author.
- Family Fun Day
Start summer vacation with a bang! This is family fun for all – plus it kicks off the Summer Reading Program at the Library. Crafts, puppet show, storytelling, snakes, bugs, bubbles and more...guaranteed to make you smile!
- Town & Gown evening
Another light-hearted fundraiser event
- Live! at the Library
The Library's free monthly concert series is funded through the Friends. The first Sunday of each month brings a new musical treat ranging from classical to blues.
- Gift Wrapping at Barnes & Noble
Each December we share the holiday spirit, earning tips to help the library!
Friends of the Athens-Clarke County Library Board Officers
- President, Del Dunn
- Vice President, Karen Hankins
- Secretary, Ian Thomas
- Treasurer, Sean Boyle (Library Trustee Liaison)
- Membership, Hortense Bates
- Library Staff Liaison, Clare Auwarter
- More Board members...
Would You Like to Serve on the Friends Board?
There will be a new class of seven Board members joining the Friends Board in May. The Board meets monthly, on the first Tuesday evening of each month. This is a working board, and you must have access to email to facilitate communication.