Part-time Information Services Assistant - Athens-Clarke County Library
Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Purpose and Scope
This is 3-hour a week position covering public service desks at the Athens-Clarke County Library. The person in this position may work at the Information Desk, Concierge Desk, Heritage Room Desk and/or Technology Desk providing reference and computer assistance to library patrons.
Minimum Training & Experience
This position requires knowledge of reference interview techniques, knowledge of basic reference sources, and excellent communication and public service skills. High school diploma and some college required. Public library experience preferred.
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned, and job assignments and work schedule are subject to change in the future.
- Provides reference services to library patrons, in person and by telephone, using both print and online resources.
- Provides computer assistance to patrons.
- Works cooperatively with other library staff, both in the department and with other staff in the regional system.
- Maintains knowledge of basic library policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Works at public service desks
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic reference sources, both in print and online
- Ability to employ appropriate reference interview techniques in person and on the phone in order to accurately determine users' information needs and to match their needs with appropriate resources based on factors such as reading level, depth and breadth of information required, time frames and more.
- Knowledge of PINES library catalog, library subscription databases & GALILEO databases.
- Knowledge of general library principles and philosophy
- Knowledge of library technology services and ability to learn new technologies in a timely manner; must keep up-to-date on technology trends and developments.
- Personal computer proficiency with office computer software
- Ability to use, understand and assist patrons with computer applications
- Ability to suggest, use and demonstrate library subscription databases and other online services to patrons.
- Ability to provide readers' advisory services by recommending titles and subjects to library patrons; knowledge of readers' advisory sources preferred.
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to remain calm under busy, stressful conditions
- Ability to answer questions and explain procedures and policies.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make independent and critical decisions using established practices and procedures.
- Ability to learn U.S. Passport execution procedures and to clearly communicate those policies and requirements to patrons.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 20 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application at your earliest convenience to apply for this position.
Employment Application - Error
I'm sorry, your application could not be sent. Please click the "return" button on your browser and check to make sure that you have filled out all of the required fields. All fields with a * must be filled out. Call us at 706-613-3650 if you continue to have trouble with this form.
Employment Application - Success
Thank you for submitting your application. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If you are selected as a candidate for the position, you will be contacted for an interview. We appreciate your interest in working for the Athens Regional Library System.