The Oglethorpe County Library offers FREE Q&A sessions on Tuesday nights. If you need help creating a flyer for a yard sale, printing mailing labels, creating a bulletin or brochure for your church or organization, or some other kind of computer project, please call us at 706-743-8817 to set up a 15-30 minute session with our computer instructor. If you want to learn to use your iPad, Kindle, or MP3 player, call us for a scheduled tutoring session and make sure to bring your electronic device.
We will be happy to assist you with all of your electronic and/or technology needs, ranging from how to download free e-books through the library system to how to upload your photos from your digital camera to your computer. Spaces are extremely limited so please call us early to secure your spot or stop by the library for additional details.
Oglethorpe County Library in partnership with Geocaching.com has brought geocaching to your local library!
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices (hand-held models and GPS-enabled cell phones). Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
How is the game played?
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these eight steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership on Geocaching.com
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS Device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
What are the rules?
- If you take something from the geocache (or “cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.
- Watch this video to learn more about geocaching.
Our Library's Cache
If you would like to find Oglethorpe County Library's geocache, visit our cache page:
Solander on the Shelves - a multi-cache, meaning there is more than 1 cache to locate. The cache page will give you the coordinates to find part 1, which is hidden outside the library. Within that cache you will find the “coordinates" for part 2, which is hidden inside the library.