About the Library System
Welcome to the Athens Regional Library System: A Place Where Everyone Belongs!
Our webpage will provide people living in our 5-county region and the state with access to information about the many services and programs available. My role as Library Director is to ensure that every library user receives the best possible service from our professional and helpful staff throughout the region.
Our Strategic Plan focuses on our key roles: Family Literacy, Information Services, New Books and AV materials, Local History and Genealogy. We strive to offer a wide variety of interesting, thought-provoking and innovative programming including family literacy events, computer instruction, challenging young adult activities and a wide variety of adult discussions and musical events in every community.
Visit our libraries and web pages often to see what is happening! We welcome you and stress that the entire regional staff is here to serve you.
Kathryn Ames, Director
Athens Regional Library System
Mission and Vision Statements
Athens-Clarke County Mission Statement
The mission of the Athens-Clarke County Libraries is to provide information and gateways to resources which will address the issues and needs of the community, as well as preserve the history and culture of Athens-Clarke County.
- Families in Athens-Clarke County will be assured that the libraries are the finest source in the community for educational, parenting and enrichment materials. The Library will encourage a lifelong love of reading within a safe, exciting, interesting environment.
- Library Patrons will find the latest materials in all formats. The libraries will be accessible, user-friendly, and attractive, filled with up-to-date materials, and have a well-informed staff to meet these needs.
Franklin County Mission Statement
The mission of the Franklin County Libraries is to provide organized access to information and services for all the citizens of Franklin County in order to meet their educational, recreational, social and cultural needs, in attractive and friendly environments.
- The libraries will enhance and increase awareness of the program of services by promoting them to schools, government, clubs and organizations, and all residents.
- To enable all citizens access to newer forms of technology and provide knowledgeable assistance.
Madison County Mission Statement
The mission of the Madison County Library is to provide access to materials, programs, and services which meet the educational, informational, and recreational needs of county residents.
- The Madison County Library will serve as the Lifelong Learning Center for the county.
- The Madison County Library will provide residents of Madison County with current, high demand, high interest popular materials in a variety of formats for persons of all ages.
Oconee County Mission Statement
The Oconee County Libraries stimulate imagination, foster educational growth and improvement, and provide dynamic access to resources and programs.
- Families will know that the Oconee County Libraries are the best places in the community for free education and enrichment materials.
- The people of Oconee County will have their informational needs met in a superior manner by library staff.
Oglethorpe County Mission Statement
The mission of the Oglethorpe County Library is to encourage and support learning, literacy and leisure pursuits through a variety of media in an inviting and friendly environment.Selected Goals
- The library will provide the community with an accessible and inviting environment for public gatherings.
- The library will support and encourage learning about local history as well as the larger world through special collections, special events and programs, and special speakers.