Branch Managing Librarian - Oconee County Libraries
|Position||Branch Managing Librarian (OW-01); Oconee County Libraries, Watkinsville, GA|
|Status||Full-time; with benefits|
|Hours||40 hours per week; some nights and weekends required|
|Salary||$52,000 annually, depending on qualifications|
|Application Deadline||December 4, 2017|
Athens Regional Library System has an immediate opening for a Branch Managing Librarian of the Oconee County Libraries. The ideal candidate will be a knowledgeable and enthusiastic team leader with a strong commitment to public service. This position coordinates and manages the day-to-day operations of the Oconee County Library in Watkinsville, and oversees the Bogart Branch. This position works to ensure customer service and satisfaction for Oconee County Libraries' patrons. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Regional Services.
Minimum Training and Experience
Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution, and at least five years of progressively responsible supervisory, customer service, and managerial experience is required. State of Georgia certification for Librarianship, Librarian grade 5B, is also required. Must have, or be able to obtain, a valid Georgia driver's license. Bi-lingual ability (English-Spanish) is preferred but not required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned, and job assignment may change in the future.
- Plans, oversees, implements, monitors, and evaluates library operations and activities; handles problems; keeps Assistant Director informed of library operations for Oconee County Libraries.
- Conducts systematic and continuing analysis and evaluation of all library procedures, services and programs; ensures effective and efficient use of equipment, supplies, and personnel; plans for growth and development of all library services.
- Serves as communication liaison between Oconee County Library Board of Trustees members and Regional Library administration; attends Board meetings and reports on library activities; maintains local file of Board minutes and information.
- Provides information to local funding agencies, communicating regularly concerning funding and facilities; helps ARLS Administration prepare and present budget requests; attends Oconee County Board of Commissioners meetings.
- Initiates ideas for libraries' growth and development; assists in grant seeking to support library activities and service improvements.
- Promotes and maintains a positive relationship with elected officials, local schools, civic groups, and the community; participates in community organizations; promotes the library's image and programs to the community.
- Serves as team leader for planning, producing, and publicizing the libraries' services and programming.
- Serves as liaison with local Library Friends organizations, assisting in the planning of special events and fundraising activities that benefit the library financially.
- Oversees recruitment, training, and work of library volunteers.
- Responds to and resolves inquiries regarding service complaints, safety issues, and facility concerns. Oversees the safety and maintenance of library facilities.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting them with all aspects of library service, including assisting with computer technology and applications.
- Maintains and submits required reports; monitors budget expenditures; works with other regional system teams to ensure efficient delivery of services.
- Evaluates local materials collection and patron materials needs; works with Regional collection development staff to budget for, select, and weed library materials collections.
- Oversees library's local webpages and social media accounts.
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments affecting libraries; attends workshops and professional meetings for professional development.
- Oversees supervision of Oconee County Library staff (currently 10.5 FTEs), ensuring ongoing service and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes and assigns work and oversees staff development.
- Holds staff meetings on a regular basis; keeps all employees informed of library policies and procedures.
- Conducts performance evaluations for assigned staff and makes hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations to ARLS administration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of management, supervisory, financial, and customer service principles and practices.
- Advanced knowledge of library operational and administrative principles and practices.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with subordinates, management, employees, members of the general public, and all other groups involved in the activities of the library system; ability to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear, and effective manner.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of Oconee County government, applicable federal and state regulations, and the operations and functions of a multi-county library system
- Knowledge of budgeting principles, skill in maintaining financial reports, and mathematical ability for handling required monetary and statistical calculations.
- Personal computer proficiency, thorough understanding of automated integrated library systems, and ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Ability to administer policies, procedures, plans, and activities and to monitor performance of subordinates against measured, established goals.
- Supervisory skill including knowledge of human resource principles and staff development.
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion in managing subordinates and library services, determining and deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards, and resolving problems.
- Knowledge of normal and emergency building procedures and ability to handle emergency situations.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of library machinery and equipment. Must be able to use body members to work, move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally and up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium Work.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees to discuss potential necessary accommodations. The library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and e-Verify employment eligibility approval.
Submit online ARLS job application, including a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications for this position.