Library Assistant: Teen Programming Specialist - Oconee County Library
|Position||Library Assistant: Teen Programming Specialist; Oconee County Library (Watkinsville Campus)|
|Status||Part-time; without benefits|
|Hours||17 hours per week; requires nights and weekends|
|Salary||$9.00 per hour|
|Application Deadline||November 27, 2017|
The Oconee County Library is hiring an individual committed to offering the best library service to our community, an individual who doesn't settle for the ways it's been done, but instead looks for ways to excel and improve. We seek an enthusiastic, innovative, and flexible individual who proactively searches for opportunities to make public library services relevant to all residents of Oconee County.
This position requires a positive customer service attitude, tactfulness, and excellent communication skills for working with library patrons, staff, and a second Teen Specialist. Creativity, high energy, and awareness of the world of teens are essential. In addition to general library duties, this position contributes to the creation of a welcoming environment, a relevant collection, and forward-thinking programming for teen and pre-teen audiences. Position reports to the Oconee County Librarian.
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience and experience working with teenagers preferred. A combination of education, training, and experience that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position may also be considered. Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills preferred.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned, and job assignments may change in the future.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with their information questions and readers' advisory and circulation needs.
- Provides support in many areas of daily library operations, including (but not limited to) basic facility maintenance; organizing and re-shelving materials; accepting fees and fines; routing holds, loans and information; materials processing; recording statistics; performing basic office duties.
- Upholds all library policies, including the Patron Responsibilities and Conduct statement; monitors and responds to safety and security of library patrons and campus; reports situations according to outlined procedures.
- Develops, creates and implements library programs for teen audiences, ages 11 – 18; communicates all plans and program feedback to supervisor.
- Recommends professionally reviewed library materials to ARLS Selection Team as possible additions to the Teen collection.
- Maintains the library's teen blog, Facebook page, and other social networking tools through monitoring, updating, and posting (within established guidelines) to increase awareness of programs and services.
- Works with schools to expand the reach of Teen services.
- Creates attractive and informative bulletin boards and displays.
- Prepares public relations notices, posters, flyers and monthly calendars for approval by supervisor.
- Coordinates activities with Children's, Computer, and Adult Services specialists.
- Prepare bibliographies/reading lists for teen audiences.
- Browses library journals, searches Galileo databases, and seeks other materials related to library service for teens.
- Assists and instructs library patrons in computer activities, including using the library's catalog and databases, the Internet, and basic personal computing programs.
- May oversee operations of the library in the absence of the Branch Manager, being responsible for opening and closing the library.
- May train and oversee library volunteers as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing customer service to patrons of all ages as well as to co-workers.
- Skill in public speaking and program presentation techniques appropriate to the targeted audiences.
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand, and assist patrons with various computer applications.
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS and branch policies, procedures, and activities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff.
- Knowledge of children's, teen, and adult literature.
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan and prioritize assignments and activities.
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office support, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change mentally.
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity.
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Ability to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, and crawl in order to handle and manage storage and retrieval of library materials and equipment.
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment including computer, telephone, photocopy machine, and audio/visual equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume & cover letter describing qualifications for this position.