Public Information Distribution, Display, and Exhibits Policy - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Athens-Clarke County Library Board of Trustees establishes policy for use of bulletin boards, brochure racks, galleries, cases and all other display spaces in the Athens-Clarke County Library and all Athens-Clarke County branches. This policy covers all areas of library campuses, including outdoor property, parking lots and grounds.
Complaints about this policy or about the content of any postings, brochures, exhibits or displays at the library should be addressed in writing to the Director of the Athens Regional Library System (ARLS) for local review by the Athens-Clarke County Library Board as outlined on the library's Request for Reconsideration Form. If necessary, an appeal is heard by the ARLS Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.
Public Display & Distribution of Publicity & Information at the Library
The library makes available a limited, specifically designated space for display and distribution of information, publicity, and notices. Posters, flyers, brochures, and other handouts may be added only by the following: Athens-Clarke County Library; the library’s sponsored groups and partners; entities of the library’s government funding agencies. Materials left at the library by other people, organizations, or businesses will be removed and discarded. People, groups, or organizations reserving public meeting spaces in the library may display and distribute materials inside those areas during their reserved meeting times.
Handouts & Bulletin Board Postings in the Athens-Clarke County Library
In the spirit of community partnerships, the library provides a designated space on a public bulletin board for announcements and notices of local community events. The library also provides literature display racks for distribution of free handouts, notices, and other materials which may be of interest to the community. Both of these services are in keeping with the library's overall philosophy of providing access to a wide range of information sources.
- Space is designated in order of priority to:
- Athens-Clarke County Library and Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library items.
- Athens-Clarke County Unified Government notices and publications.
- Other government notices and publications of local interest.
- Athens-Clarke County educational institution notices and publications.
- Athens-Clarke County non-profit organization materials of local interest.
- All notices, posters and free literature must be approved, posted, and removed from the bulletin board or display racks by authorized library staff.
- Staff will discard items not approved for placement, and excess copies of any items received.
- Event announcements must be for not-for-profit events that are free and open to the public.
- All items must identify the organization including: name, address, and phone number.
- Community newsletters, magazines, newspapers, and other publications distributed free of charge (with or without advertising) containing information of local interest will be considered for placement in the designated literature display racks as space allows. Library staff will not be responsible for storing excess copies of these publications.
- Items will be posted or made available on an equitable basis, subject to available space, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the individuals or groups represented. There will be zero tolerance for materials advocating hate speech, drug use or illegal activities.
- The library reserves the right to limit the size, number of items, and length of posting. Activities with no specific date will be posted for a period of approximately 14 days, which may be extended if space permits.
- Forms of literature unacceptable for library posting or display include:
- Items devoted solely to the sale, advertising, solicitation, or promotion of products or services will not be accepted.
- Materials whose primary purpose serves as political campaign literature.
- Materials whose primary purpose serves as religious literature.
- Personal notices or handouts (roommates, lost pets, free pets, yard sales, etc.)
- Requests for study participants for medical or other research.
- Direct requests for contributions not associated with a Library-sponsored or Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library-sponsored event or campaign.
- Posting of a notice or placement of materials in a display rack does not imply endorsement by library staff or Board of Trustees.
- The ARLS Director reserves the right to review any and all requests for use of public bulletin boards or literature racks and may reject any which he/she deems unsuitable or inappropriate.
- Complaints about this public display and distribution policy or about the content of anything being displayed or distributed there should be addressed in writing to the ARLS Director for local review by the Athens-Clarke County Library Board as outlined on the library's Request for Reconsideration form.
- If necessary, an appeal is heard by the ARLS Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.
Exhibits & Displays
An exhibit or display is anything housed for a definite or indefinite period of time in, and is not the property of, the Athens Regional Library System.
The library welcomes the opportunity to allow community groups, organizations and individuals to use designateddisplay areas of each library. Space is provided to encourage displays of an educational, cultural, civic or recreational nature rather than commercial or political purpose.
Exhibits are seen by anyone who enters the library. The materials of the exhibits must meet what is generally known as "a standard acceptable to the community," which includes no child pornography, obscenity or materials harmful to minors.
Space for exhibits must be reserved in advance. Exhibits will normally be scheduled for up to one calendar month. All exhibits will be handled by Administration and will be on a first-come, first served basis.
The Library is not responsible for any items/exhibits housed at the Library and this release form must be signed prior to use of library space acknowledging this information.
Works to be displayed on walls must be ready and suitable for hanging.
If the artist posts prices for selling art work on exhibit, the library will require a consignment fee of 30%. All sales will be handled through the Library Store or designated library personnel. The person or group creating the exhibit or display may post their name, address and phone number as part of the exhibit.
Transporting, housing, displaying, maintaining and storing of exhibits are the responsibility of the exhibitors. No exhibit will be accepted which requires special attention, handling and/or maintenance by Library staff, however, the Library reserves the right to rearrange and to remove an exhibit if exhibition space is needed for a Library-related display.
No person or group shall be discriminated against because of race, sex, age, marital status, physical disability, political affiliation, or religion.
Complaints about both the exhibit display policy and or/ the content of or an exhibit or display, should be addressed in writing to the Branch Manager or Director or the Athens-Clarke County Library for local review. If necessary, an appeal is heard by the Athens Regional Library System Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.
Exhibit Release Form
I, the undersigned, hereby lend the following works of art or other material to the branch library of the Athens Regional Library System named below for exhibit purposes. In consideration of the privilege of exhibiting materials, I release the Library system from responsibility for loss, damage or destruction beyond normal insurance coverage while they are in the possession of the Library.
Exhibition to be held in __________________________________ area of Library.
Description of Materials and value:
Phone No.:_______________________ Email address: _______________________
Download a printable copy of the Exhibit Policy and Release Form.
Revised by the Athens Regional Library System Board of Trustees
July 8, 2014