Watch, Listen, Read: Adult Resources
- Popcornflix https://www.popcornflix.com/pages/discover/d/movies
- Top documentaries https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/
- PlutoTV https://pluto.tv
- Tubitv https://tubitv.com/
The following podcasts can be enjoyed directly from the websites linked, no apps needed. However, they are also available via most free podcast apps.
- Backlisted https://www.backlisted.fm/
- The Great Books https://www.nationalreview.com/podcasts/the-great-books/
- National Review national correspondent and professor at Hillsdale College, John Miller, discusses classic works within the Western literary canon.
- Serial https://serialpodcast.org/
- Serial is a podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial tells one story — a true story — over the course of a season. Serial has won every major award for broadcasting, including the duPont-Columbia, Scripps Howard, Edward R. Murrow, and the first-ever Peabody awarded to a podcast. Serial, like This American Life, is produced in collaboration with WBEZ Chicago. It comes from Serial Productions, which released S-Town in 2017, and has more projects in development.
- S-Town https://stownpodcast.org/
- S-Town is a new podcast from Serial and This American Life, hosted by Brian Reed, about a man named John who despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. He asks Brian to investigate the son of a wealthy family who’s allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, and the search for the truth leads to a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man’s life.
- 1619 https://www.nytimes.com/column/1619-project
- An audio series from The Times observing the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery.
- This American Life https://www.thisamericanlife.org/
- The Sporkful http://www.sporkful.com/tag/podcast-episodes/
- Since launching in 2010, The Sporkful has won the James Beard Award, Webby Award, and Saveur Award for Best Food Podcast. Each week on the show, we use humor and humanity to approach food from many angles, including science, history, identity, culture, economics, and lengthy debates on the best way to layer peanut butter and jelly in a sandwich. We like to say it's not for foodies, it's for eaters.
- Switched on pop https://switchedonpop.com/
- A podcast about the making and meaning of popular music hosted by musicologist Nate Sloan and songwriter Charlie Harding, produced by Rock Ridge Productions, Vox Media Podcast Network and Vox.com. We break down pop songs to figure out what makes a hit and what is its place in culture. We help listeners find “a-ha” moments in the music.
- Athens Regional Library System
- Project Gutenberg - free ebooks https://www.gutenberg.org/
- UGA Open Press (temporarily free access) https://ugapress.manifoldapp.org/
- LibriVox - Free audio of books that are in the public domain. https://librivox.org/
- The Complete Shakespeare http://shakespeare.mit.edu/
- Loyal Books -- free public domain audiobooks and ebook downloads http://www.loyalbooks.com/
- DigitalBook.io (free public domain audio books and eBooks) https://www.digitalbook.io/
- Lit2Go is a free online collection of stories and poems in Mp3 (audiobook) format https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/
- Audible Stories streaming service is offered completely free. https://stories.audible.com/start-listen?fbclid=IwAR1eKxhejLP1p3WmtgaSjHAbhlf4ALxAUoFMpUjkPrSyRsAZM7Ov20OU3Hg
- World Digital Library.
- The World Digital Library (WDL) is a project of the U.S. Library of Congress, carried out with the support of the United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (UNESCO), and in cooperation with libraries, archives, museums, educational institutions, and international organizations from around the world.The WDL makes available on the Internet, free of charge and in multilingual format, significant primary materials from all countries and cultures.
- Spanish version: https://www.wdl.org/es/ English version: https://www.wdl.org/en/.
- Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/genres/public-domain This provides links to where readers can download a book and also has comments from other readers.
- Comicbookplus https://comicbookplus.com/ ...the original and still the premier site to read and download Golden and Silver Age comic books. Plus, we also hold a large and growing selection of comic strips and pulp fiction.