We have changed our name to the Northeast Georgia Talking Book Center.
We will be closed on Thursday, October 22nd for Staff Development Day. We will also be closed November 26th, December 24th and 25th and January 1st.
Louis Braille Exhibit Comes to Atlanta
January 4, 2009 was the 200th anniversary of Louis Braille's birth. He was the inventor of Braille, a written language developed for the blind consisting of raised dots. To commemorate the event, the Louis Braille Bicentennial Traveling Exhibit has been crossing the country. This exhibit features a 20-panel display produced by the National Braille Press. The panels are in both Braille and print, and teach not only about Louis Braille but also the language he left behind.
This event will make a stop at the Atlanta History Center from October 5-30, 2009. Don't miss it! www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/louis/louis_tour.html.
If there are any veterans that haven't been contacted yet about the digital players, please give us a call at 800-531-2063.
Digital Outreach Schedule
The Talking Book Center staff will be touring libraries all over Northeast Georgia this fall, demonstrating the new digital Talking Book players. We hope many of our patrons will get to come see the new player and try it out before we begin distributing them later this year.
If you work at or are a resident or member of an organization that would like a digital Talking Books presentation, please call us at 1-800-531-2063 and we will be happy to schedule a demonstration.
Check the schedule below and see when we are coming to a library near you!
- October 10, 10:00am - Rabun Co. Library (located in Clayton)
- October 10, 12:00pm - Habersham Public Library
- November 3, 11:00am - Commerce Public Library
- November 3, 1:30pm - Madison Co. Library (located in Danielsville)
- November 6, 10:30am - Suwanee Public Library
- November 6, 12:30pm - Lilburn Public Library
- November 17, 11:00am - Hart Co. Public Library (located in Hartwell)
- November 17, 1:00pm - Lavonia Public Library
- November 20, 10:30am - Monroe-Walton Co. Public Library
- November 20, 12:30pm - O'Kelly Memorial Library (located in Loganville)
- December 4, 11:00am - Toccoa-Stephens Co Public Library
The Northeast Georgia Self Advocacy Network is sponsoring the Legislative Forum hosted by the Multiple Choices Center for Independent Living, Inc. If you are a resident of Northeast Georgia with a concern, please take this opportunity to come out to discuss issues and concerns that affect individuals with disabilities such as funding for our Region, Housing, Transportation, Education, Employment, Health, Voter Registration and how important it is to have the right legislative representation.
- Date: October 27, 2009
- Time: 7:00 PM
- Place: Multiple Choices Center for Independent Living, Inc.
- 850 Gaines School Road, Athens Georgia 30605
If you need further information please contact (706) 549-1020.
- RC 64336 Natural-Born Charmer by Susan E. Phillips ST SE
- RC 64533 Go Long! My Journey Beyond the Game and the Fame By Jerry Rice
- RC 65352 Quiet Strength: A Memoir by Tony Dungy
- RC 65481 Deadline by Chris Crutcher for grades 9-12
- RC 66091 The Bus: My Life In and Out of a Helmet by Jerome Bettis
- RC 66328 Brett Favre: The Tribute by Sports Illustrated
- RC 67157 The Best Game Ever: Giants vs. Colts, 1958 and the Birth of the Modern NFL by Mark Bowden
- RC 67351 The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life by Jim Tressel
- RC 67403 Just Too Good to Be True by E. Lynn Harris ST SE
- RC 67736 Boots on the Ground By Dusk: My Tribute to Pat Tillman By Mary Tillman