The Library will be closed on Monday, September 5th in honor of Labor Day.
We will continue to focus on outreach to the community so if you would like us to come give a presentation in your town, give us a call at 706-310-3650.
Sending Mail to the Talking Book Center
Although the Talking Book Center is temporarily located at the Oconee Co. Library, please continue to send all mail to our address on Baxter Street in Athens. We have a courier service set up between the libraries, so we will get the mail you send to us.
Please DO NOT send us mail at the Oconee Co. Library address. The Oconee Co. Library has a post office box, and does not use the Experiment Station Road address to receive mail. Sending mail to this address may cause it to be returned to you or delayed.
All mail to the Talking Book Center should be sent to:
Talking Book Center
2025 Baxter St.
Athens, GA 30606
GCB 2011 ONE DAY EVENT
- WHEN: Saturday, August 13, 2011
- WHERE: Carrollton Cultural Arts Center, 251 Alabama StreetCarrollton, GA 30117
- HOTEL: Jameson Inn, 700 South Park Street, Carrollton, GA 30117.
- Hotel reservations can be made now by calling (770) 834-2600 or toll free (800)526-3766. Be sure to tell them you are with the Georgia Council of the Blind to get the $81.75 (taxes included) per night. The hotel rate will allow up to 4 people per room. Check-in time at the hotel is 3:00 pm and the check-out time is 11:00 am. The deadline for making your HOTEL RESERVATIONS is July 12, 2011 to receive the reduced rate.
- EARLY REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
- The registration fee this year is $20.00 before July 15th and $25.00 after July 15th. The cost of the Banquet this year is $25.00. You will be able to select your meal preference on the registration form (Please advise server of your specific meal preference). In order to reserve a Banquet meal, you must register before July 15th, 2011. After you have made all of your choices, total them.
If you have additional questions or need any further information, feel free to contact us at 706-208-7132 or 1-888-519-3988. We look forward to seeing you in Carrollton!!
AssistiveMedia.org is an internet-based audio reading service for those with visual and reading impairments. Below is a portion of an email from the Found and Editor-in-Chief:
"Assistive Media is a nonprofit online reading service for people who are visually impaired. I am sending this email as a courtesy to invite you and your patrons to access our easy-to-use free service at www.AssistiveMedia.org. Through the blessings of the authors and publishers, we provide online (mp3) recordings of in-depth journalistic articles from popular periodicals such as The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Harper's and many others. All of this is free and we do not require memberships or accept advertising. We do this for the love of it. "
New Internet Resource
There's a new resource on the internet called Helping the Blind and Visually Impaired. It is run by Christine Chaikin. For more information go to www.visuallyimpairedandtheblind.com. She has also created a group and a page on Facebook called Helping the Blind and Visually Impaired.
The Athens Council of the Blind meetings are held on the fourth Saturday, of every month from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM at Multiple Choices, 850 Gaines School Road, Athens. For further information call 706.549.1020.
- DB 69206 Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber
- DB 69392: Life Without Summer by Lynne Reeves Griffin ST SE
- DB 69842 The End of the Long Summer: why we must remake our civilization to survive on a volatile earth by D. Dumanoski
- DB 70642 The Summer Hideaway by Susan Wiggs ST SE VI
- DB 71197 The Summer I Got a Life by Mark Fink grades 6-9
- DB 71285 Killer Summer by Ridley Pearson ST VI
- DB 71309 Honeysuckle Summer: Sweet Magnolias by Sherryl Woods
- DB 71559 Driftwood Summer by Patti Callahan Henry SE
- DB 71705 Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian tribe In American History by S. C. Gwynne